You are not logged in.

Announcement

The return of official raids - Sign up now!   Learn how  ::  Do it.

#1 2009-10-20 14:20:27

xaktsaroth
Forum reader

Lord Jaraxxus (heroic)

Taken from wowwikki.

Abilities difference between normal and heroic mode:

*   Touch of Jaraxxus — Inflicts 3900 to 4100 Shadow Damage every 1 sec on a random player. Inflicts Curse of the Nether on nearby players (but not on the targetted player). Lasts for 12 seconds

*   Curse of the Nether — Inflicts 4388 to 4612 Shadow damage every 1 sec for 15 sec. Dispellable.

* Nether Portal and Infernal Volcano are able to be targeted and must be destroyed to get the minimum of adds spawned.

Heroic mode strategy

The Fel Volcanoes and Nether Portals now keep spawning new infernals or mistresses until they are destroyed. Very fast target-switching and damage-dealing is required to destroy each portal before it spawns a second Mistress of Pain (which generally leads to a wipe). Everyone needs to hit the portal, even healers and tanks.

The Mistress gains a nasty new ability, Mistress' Kiss. The victim of this spell takes up to 14,350 shadow damage and is interrupted for eight seconds the next time he attempts to cast any spell with a cast time. The victim should cast a spell in a school he does not plan to use, so he is locked out of that school instead of his primary school. Holy paladins, whose spells with cast times are all in the Holy school, are unavoidably knocked out of action for a while when hit by this spell unless they use a cooldown such as Divine Shield or Concentration Aura Mastery. They should fire off a Holy Shock, then trigger the interrupt and ask the other healers to cover for them.

Not much else to say except what has been learnt on normal mode. Try plan youre interupts if targeted by mistress spell make sure youre spread and healers need to stay on theire toes to heal people up.

Was thinking about range issues to hit the adds when we had our few quick attempts. Since adds needs to be downed as quick as possible would it be possible to maybe tank the adds in middle and keep the boss to the edge of the circle ? With melee and tanks on 1 side of the circle with ranged spread around the center circle everyone should be in range to hit the boss and adds.
That way melee would have a safe spot to move on if they get the [Legion Flame]

About healing I think we will have to get a bit more precise on the healing assigns. Maybe set 1 healer in each group and have him + the persons in the group assigned to spread out on 1 spot and he will have to make sure the [debuff] is healed off if his party members gets it, of course with assistance by other healers if they can reach.

Xaktsaroth

#2 2009-10-20 16:39:26

duffry
Founder
Website

Re: Lord Jaraxxus (heroic)

xaktsaroth wrote:

The Fel Volcanoes and Nether Portals now keep spawning new infernals or mistresses until they are destroyed. Very fast target-switching and damage-dealing is required to destroy each portal before it spawns a second Mistress of Pain (which generally leads to a wipe). Everyone needs to hit the portal, even healers and tanks.

Not sure about healers DPSing the portals, might be required but if there is any way to avoid it I would prefer to. Healers have a shit-storm to deal with already. Depends how well the DPS do.
Certainly sounding like a ranged friendly fight.

Does everyone know the best rotation for short fights? I think the portal needs to go down in 10-12 seconds which for aff means Corr+Haunt+SB, destro is normal rotation and demo locks pretty much SB spam. Having a target selection and initial spell casting (for ranged) macro can save a second and therefore 10% more damage.

/tar Nether Portal
/tar Infernal Volcano

xaktsaroth wrote:

The Mistress gains a nasty new ability, Mistress' Kiss. The victim of this spell takes up to 14,350 shadow damage and is interrupted for eight seconds the next time he attempts to cast any spell with a cast time. The victim should cast a spell in a school he does not plan to use, so he is locked out of that school instead of his primary school. Holy paladins, whose spells with cast times are all in the Holy school, are unavoidably knocked out of action for a while when hit by this spell unless they use a cooldown such as Divine Shield or Concentration Aura Mastery. They should fire off a Holy Shock, then trigger the interrupt and ask the other healers to cover for them.

PowerAuras sounds like a good way to have something pop up on screen if you get this so you can lock out the appropriate school.
If you want to set it up then the confirmed name of the debuff is Mistress' Kiss

Oh, and I renamed the thread to be front-page friendly.

http://img.duffry.com/duff2.jpg

Duffinci

#3 2009-10-20 17:57:41

Hezekiah_pala
Forum member

Always a necessity in these times:
Tankspots gentle guide to kicking ass.

Just make sure everyone put on soothing music and turn off all in-game audio then we should be alright.

"Phaser fire hits hull."

Hezekiah

#4 2009-10-20 18:12:50

Hunterdrizzt

this sounds like fun, one of those 'here have a billion things at once' kind of fights. at least this one is less about technical execution and more along the lines of 'LOOK, A THING, KILL IT!' *mad scramble as everyone over aggros in the first five seconds*
also, just watching the video made my PC run slow, so god only knows what the actual fight will be l- *disconnects*

http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/wow/5/5/5/7/5/3955575UDVYa.png
http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/wow/5/5/5/9/3/3955593gPqQw.png

Hunterdrizzt

#5 2009-10-21 06:46:22

Deuskim
Forum member

Over on www.wow.com Matticus has posted a very good article on raid healing this encounter.

The full article

I've picked out some poignant points.......

1)   Just like normal - spread out around the circle (but not too far out from the centre) so all healers can cover as much of the raid as possible.

2)   [Incinerate Flesh] 85k won't take long to clear if as many healers as possible throw heals for a second or 2. Make sure your raid frames shows the debuff so you can go back to other duties as soon as possible.

3)   [Touch of Jaraxxus]  and  [Curse of the Nether] dispellable which will ease the overall healing burden.

4)  [Mistress' Kiss] Using instant spells will not trigger the lockout. Cast a different school of magic to trigger it, and enable you to get back to normal quickly.

cool

Last edited by Deuskim (2009-10-21 06:48:55)

"Keep your feet on the grrroooouuuuuunnnnndddd!"

Deuskim

#6 2009-10-21 08:18:09

Hezekiah_pala
Forum member

Yea, at least for me the Mistress Kiss muust be watched! I'm reading conflicting reports on the instaspells triggering the lockout or not. Will just have to test for meself.

"Phaser fire hits hull."

Hezekiah

#7 2009-10-21 11:46:21

Rujark
Forum member

Hezekiah_pala wrote:

Yea, at least for me the Mistress Kiss muust be watched! I'm reading conflicting reports on the instaspells triggering the lockout or not. Will just have to test for meself.

As far as I can tell/remember from 10-man (no /combatlog), when you start casting FoL or HL you will get interrupted and the heal will never land, however an instant cast HS will land (but still lock you out).

Using Aura Mastery with Concentration Aura will make you and everybody else immune to the debuff for 10s, I also assume Divine Shield will remove the debuff but I didn't try that.

3/3 Improved Concentration Aura reduces the spell lockout time to 6.15s for everybody in the raid (all auras).

Rujįrk

#8 2009-10-21 13:08:21

Hezekiah_pala
Forum member

Hmm, mebbe I'll have to respecc back into imp. conc aura then.

Div Shiel will remove the debuff seems to be the general verdict ye.

I'll also recommend a more careful setup of healers next time we head in as we lost people due to range when the thingy with the aoe thingy killed people (hey, I know what it does, I don't remember the name). Each time we wiped on not healing the debuff fast enough I was out of range or heavily preoccupied with the tanks.

And, we can of course try to bring 6 healers - but 5 should be enough. The healing team doesn't want it to be easy tongue

INCINTERATE FLESH! yeah! I rememberred...

ADDED:
Mistress Kiss debuff can be avoided by stopcasting. Read the healing tact provided above.

Last edited by Hezekiah_pala (2009-10-21 13:48:27)

"Phaser fire hits hull."

Hezekiah

#9 2009-10-21 14:19:21

duffry
Founder
Website

6 healers is an option but DPS is the way to kill the boss (and the portals) so I'll only go to 6 if we just can't heal otherwise and the DPS are cool with the portals and volcanoes.

Duffinci

#10 2009-10-23 10:28:39

Hezekiah_pala
Forum member

I wanna talk dirty about healer positions, and for the nights I suggest the following:

Spread on the outer ring in a 65-70 % circle with it's weight towards East. No one ever runs toward the monster entrance.

My immediate thought is that designated Incinerate Flesh healers is not the way to go. A paladin on the MT with a beacon on the OT (with HoT from raid healers), with 2 back-up healers in case of lock-outs should theoretically be enough to cover the tanks, freeing up the other healers to deal with the raid and Incinerate Flesh when it occurs.

"Phaser fire hits hull."

Hezekiah

#11 2009-10-23 12:14:05

Moonadin

This is a nice article by matticus on healing heroic Jaraxxus. I think it would be advisable to read this and try it instead of figuring out all new tactics:

http://www.wow.com/2009/10/20/raid-rx-h … -jaraxxus/

I found this in the comments on page 2 about paladin healing (wall of text warning). Sounds like some seriously good advice. The most important points are:
- Use divine sacrifice rotation on Infernals
- Spread into 5/6 groups
- Everyone heals the incinerate flesh person (2 big heals per person)
- Use Aura Mastery during infernals
- Tank the mistresses in the center with the melee
- Healers dispell/purge when a portal is up
- Take 6 healers and as few melee and tanks as you can get away with.

"First some glaring errors: Fel lightning does not increase in power per jump, that is 5 people get hit for the same amount per person as if 3 people got hit and the range between jumps is much higher than the usual chain lightning (around 12 yards). Although spreading is still advisory because of the flame it spreading out doesn't reduce lightning damage per person and just reduces raid damage very slightly.

I'll write up my thoughts from a paladin healer perspective.

1) Positioning is very important We want about 6 groups of 2-3 ranged/healers spread around the conveniently placed star in the centre such that each group has 1 healer per group (this is effectively so that 3 healers will be in range of anybody getting incinerate flesh and at least 2 healers for the legion flame kiting

Jaraxxus is tanked in the centre and there is no real need for melee positioning, like I said in melee range it requires extreme spreading to not spread lightning and its not needed in the first place.

Mostly the fight is quite elementary healing wise as long as everybody is on the ball, the tank taking damage from jaraxxus can be the weakest of the 2-3 tanks you bring (you really only need 2 tanks here but 3 can help for some reduced damage in the infernal stage). Jaraxxus doesn't hit for all that hard on the tank as long as his spells are interrupted.

From a healing perspective of a paladin its all about 5 things in the fight

1) Mistress's
2) Infernals
3) Fel lightning + Nether power
4) Incinerate Flesh
5) Legion Flame

I will discuss all 5 in turn so onto the first point

1) Mistress's. The healing on the mistress comes in bursts as a paladin I have beacon on the tank taking jaraxxus and simply heal the mistress's damage. Occasionally you will see her jump towards a player and they get thrown up into the air and take quite a lot of burst damage. Throwing a Holy shock or any instant heal is quite vital for dealing with this, however other than that the damage is quite light.

As was mentioned in the article the mistress now do a debuff on player's called mistress's Kiss which locks you out of your next spell school when you cast that next spell. Obviously priests casting mind blast, shamans lava burst and druids keeping to instants is fine (theres no point in casting starfire it takes too long to cast shifts you out of tol form and you can keep rejuvs and wild growths on everyone perfectly fine). As a paladin, however, there are 2 easy ways to combat this either take the spell lock as soon as possible, if you have improved concentration aura the spell lock out is not that bad and simply announcing it and having it over and done with quickly is far better. Or (if you aren't saving aura mastery for infernals) pop aura mastery and heal away, again it will depend on how good your other healers are to which strategen is more viable. There is an alternative way of dealing with them which is you cast a spell and immediately jump as you start casting. This cancels the spell before it interrupts, this takes some practise and can be utilised by any member of the raid but it is the best way of dealing with it if you are confident. However, usually this phase is quite light on healing and its fine if you get interrupted if you announce it.

As for killing the mistress, its best off tanking her in the centre so melee can "cleave" jaraxxus, other than a full nuke on the portal before hand (as a paladin the best I can do is really judge the portal with wisdom) however as long as your rogues are smart (yes exposing is good on the portal) you shouldn't have a problem with the dps timer as long as people are staying alive. You have alot of time to kill the mistress so the dps check is only on this portal

2) Infernals

This is the hardest part of the fight to Heal really. The best way to combat this is to divine sacrifice rotate. With 2 holy paladins + a ret it is easy enough to have any of these covered. However it is important not to blow it immedietly since the time they are "using infernal" is not straight as they move out of the volcano, they move around and need to picked up usually a good 10 seconds after the volcano has been destroyed is the best time to use divine sacrifice. If there is an infernal "infernalling" near you: it does have a very big range and it is often better just to take the damage than run around and cause chaos by doing so.

Good aoe healing is the key here, as a paladin I focus mostly on keeping up the melee and the legion flame/incinerate flesh debuffs at this time since Rejuv blanketting and shields will be being spammed by the other classes.

3) Fel Lightning + Nether Power.

I put this here because this happens alot when you have bad dispellers who tunnel vision adds. Personally we keep an enhance shaman on jaraxxus at all times for interrupts and dispels however if you don't have the dps to support that then you will have to rely on your priest healers dispelling nether power off (or indeed resto shamans purging) if he gains it during when the portal is up.

Its annoying to heal because it will do extensive damage to (probably) 5 people in the raid and this is why dispelling is so very important. It needs to be co-ordinated between 2-3 people. Not all the stacks need to be off by the time he does a chain lightning but it does need to be reduced or you will see 5 people pretty much fall over and die. As a paladin there isn't much you can do to combat this but as priests/shamans you need to be on the ball dispelling if your dps can't spare 1 person to do this.

4) Incinerate Flesh. This is basically the crux of the fight. As for incinerate flesh simply put 2 of your "big heals" onto the target (often you only need 1) if they are in range. If everybody puts 2 big heals onto the target the debuff will be cleared, on certain phases like infernal phasing you may need to pump out more holy lights as a paladin to the target but it needs to be cleared asap because it a) reduces there damage b) they can't be healed c) to avoid a raid wipe

It's imperative that this is healed off quickly and every healer should have it as a number 1 priority to heal off.

5) Legion Flame, now really this is minor healing if the kiter does it right and only takes the dot in damage. Basically the person with this debuff should do a long circle round the back of their group (if ranged) and make sure the fire is spread out evenly. If your a healer and get the debuff throw an instant heal on yourself. Fires get released every 3 seconds so you can run and stop and flash heal yourself if other healers are slacking but the important thing is to firstly not get fire on where your group is standing and secondly make sure you do not run out of range of other healers. It pains me every time I see dps running away with legion flame out of range of healers and then wondering why you died. This certainly is very important not to do so and if your dps don't have range raid frames then tell them to get it.

If melee get legion flame it is imperative they get away from the centre asap and basically run in a straight line between 2 groups, that way the fire is controlled and won't get into annoying positions. If the melee is slow call out and have your tank and range groups readjust so melee aren't having to dodge the incompetent melee's fire.

Now combining all 5 of those elements (and dispelling the tank if the melee miss an interrupt) should steer you safely to downing this encounter. Realistically though this is not a healing based fight and the main checks of this fight are a) Dpsing down the portal in time and b) Can you dispel the boss fast enough. The only major healing thing is healing Incinerate flesh, it can't go off really and if it does you are very likely to have your healers to blame unless your dps run out of range because they think they have legion flame.

As for actually healing this fight reccommendations I have are a) Debuff highlighters on your raid frames, personally I use Vuh-do and manually put in both incinerate flesh and legion flame into the debuff tracker. It is (vitally) important that these 2 debuffs are healed and all healers having these on your raid frames makes this fight quite trivial to heal.

Set up divine sacrifice rotations for infernals: Personally we only ever get 2, at most 3, infernal spawns however even if you are getting more you only need 3 people bringing divine sacrifice to the table to help combat this since timing is perfectly fine. This is the biggest amount of damage that healers have to spot heal in the encounter and having sacrifice up (at the right time) makes healing this fight alot more elementary. Aura mastery can also be used in combination and you just need 2 holy paladins setting up an aura mastery rotation if you feel like you need it, it is not required and probably better saved for mistress' kiss.

Other than that positioning and having everybody know what they should do if they get legion flame and the fight is pretty easy to heal."

http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/moondogjr09.png

Moonnymph

#12 2009-10-23 12:48:51

Deuskim
Forum member

Deuskim wrote:

Over on www.wow.com Matticus has posted a very good article on raid healing this encounter.

The full article

Ravenstar wrote:

This is a nice article by matticus on healing heroic Jaraxxus. I think it would be advisable to read this and try it instead of figuring out all new tactics:

http://www.wow.com/2009/10/20/raid-rx-h … -jaraxxus/

Great Minds!  big_smile

No excuse not to read it now, guys!  tongue

"Keep your feet on the grrroooouuuuuunnnnndddd!"

Deuskim

#13 2009-10-23 17:05:38

Moonadin

Oops sorry Kim. I skipped the first part of the thread so didnt notice you had already linked it. smile

http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/moondogjr09.png

Moonnymph

#14 2009-11-23 05:41:50

duffry
Founder
Website

So what was that song I was on about?...

Duffinci

#15 2010-01-02 20:36:10

duffry
Founder
Website

Code:

/tar Nether Portal
/tar [noexists][dead] Infernal Volcano
/stopcasting [exists][nodead]
/tar [noexists][dead] Mistress of Pain